Cycling in the mountains is a fascinating type of physical activity that attracts both professionals and novice cyclists. However, it is necessary to prepare for such trips to travel safely and enjoy all the mountain trails and surrounding beautiful views. What a mountain bike should be like, what is suitable as its equipment, how to approach the preparatory training – all these aspects certainly need your attention as well.
How to prepare for cycling in the mountains
To begin with, it is worth choosing the right bike. You can’t ride safely in the mountains with an ordinary city bike. It is necessary to get yourself a good mountain bike, the reliability of which will ensure safety and comfort during the ride. Its design differs significantly from other models. It is characterized by:
- low stance, which compensates for the load on the back and helps to reduce air resistance;
- shock absorption on the frame and fork;
- wide treads with a pronounced pattern;
- a large number of gears, which makes riding more comfortable;
- separate front and rear brakes for better control and safety.
The main thing to remember is that the bike must be serviceable, so do not choose a random bike for riding in the mountains. Mistakes in normal conditions can cost you a hurt elbow; in the mountains, the risks grow just as much as the quality of sights that hit your eye.
What kind of equipment you need on your ride
Bicycle clothing and helmet also affect your safety on the ride. For mountain biking, you should choose athletic cycling apparel that provides maximum comfort. A helmet is an absolutely indispensable element, and you should not skimp on the purchase of this item. It should be selected according to your size with the possibility of adjustment.
How to prepare for riding in the mountains
Bicycle trips to the mountains can become a kind of test, especially for beginners. Therefore, before traveling, it is worth practicing and mastering the technique of riding in the mountains.
The key aspects you should pay attention to are:
- Position on the bike – it is necessary to properly adjust the saddle and handlebars, which will correspond to the current conditions on the chosen route.
- Braking – slowing down and braking in mountain conditions must be precise and controlled. Therefore, it pays to know not only how to brake, but also when to do it.
These are just some of the tips you need to know about before you go on a bike trip in a mountain area. For beginners, it is better to take a course to learn how to ride in the mountains under the guidance of an instructor. And, of course, you can’t do without a good mountain bike either – quality is no bargaining chip.
If you are interested in much more comfortable bicycle rides with much more leisurely motives – somewhere in the urban area, commuting between home and work, or riding quiet park streets – then such a service as bicycle rental is always available to you. In some places it is more developed. For instance, there are tried-and-true bike companies operating in the sphere of bike and scooter rental in NYC.